Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Fall

Tomorrow is the fall equinox and while the mornings are definitely cooler - and darker - the humidity is lower and the sunset is coming earlier and earlier we are still having very warm daytime temps.  Growing up in southern Oregon, this was the perfect weather for pears, apples and grapes.  The cooler night time temps allow the sugars to gather in the fruit and that makes for just the tastiest fall harvest.

Now that I'm older, I still love this time of year - except for the dark mornings, I am hopelessly circadian.  Fall means new school clothes (yeah, I know I've been out of school for a while), crispy apples (Honeycrisp are my current faves) and, best of all, DOG EVENTS!

Starting this weekend we embark (haha) on a solid 2 months of dog stuff.  We've been warming up with handling classes for Georgia on Tuesday nights and agility classes for Moira on Thursdays but now things really get hopping.  Saturday is a conformation match and Sunday Bogey goes for a herding lesson.  Miss G will ride along and maybe get a chance to meet some sheep.

Next weekend is a show in Millwood, VA.  Entries are small but it will be good experience for me and Georgia and it will be her first show outside.

The following weekend, UHM, Bogey and Georgia will trek to Ohio for a herding clinic with Dana Hasemeier.  The weekend after that is the CCWCC regional specialty in West Friendship, MD (entries close next Wednesday).  Georgia will be entered in Sweeps and the puppy classes.  The following Saturday is an agility trial for Moira in NoVa.  A friend from New England is judging - which is the only reason I entered the trial.

Halloween weekend is Moira's first USDAA trial and her 5th birthday.  Another dog in our agility class, Maggie, has a birthday right around then too so we are having a party for the girls at the trial.  If you're around, feel free to drop by.  We'll be at Misty Mountain Campground in Crozet, VA.

The first weekend in November doesn't have any dog events but my mother will be visiting and we will be going to the Montpelier Hunt Races in Orange, VA.  Ok, the hunt club opens the event with the fox hounds running around the track - so, technically, the event involves dogs.  And there are JRT races too.  Although I think they should let Corgis run.  You know the Corgis would beat the pants off a JRT :)

The second and third weekends in November, there are breed shows in North Carolina.  I want to talk to Georgia's breeder about possibly entering one or both of them.  And then it's Thanksgiving!  No dog shows that weekend but UHM and I will still have a wonderful time.  We have a trip planned.  More details later.

Wow!  I wonder when I'll find time to sleep, do laundry, clean house......

No comments:

Post a Comment