Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sweet Tea

We've been suffering through scorching hot temps here the last few days and that means hydration is key.  I know the best thing for hydration is water but let's face it, sometimes you want something more.  In the summer, I like sweet tea.  The dogs like it too but I try not to let them have any.  Moira, however, has determined she can steal mine if I leave the glass unattended and within her reach.

Sweet tea used to be a uniquely southern beverage but I understand McDonald's is now carrying it in most of their restaurants.  And I won't lie, their sweet tea is pretty darned good - especially at $1 plus tax.  When I'm home though I like to make my own.

We are drinking around a gallon of sweet tea a week right now so I make it on Sunday afternoons to last the rest of the week.  There's nothing magical about making sweet tea but, I'll share my recipe with you all.  If you aren't a fan of sweets, then you probably won't like this but I promise, there are few things more satisfying on a hot summer day than a big glass of iced sweet tea with a wedge of lemon.  Think of it as Kool Aid for adults.

6 cups water
4 family-size tea bags (Luzianne or your favorite black tea)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of sugar

Bring 6 cups of water to boil in a large pan.  Boil one minute then remove from heat.  Add 4 family-size tea bags and cover.  I prefer Luzianne decaf but you can't get that brand everywhere so go with your favorite black tea.  Steep for 5 minutes.

Remove tea bags, squeezing out as much water as possible.  Add sugar while tea is still hot and stir to dissolve.  Pour into a 1 gallon container and fill to top with cool water.  Refrigerate.  Serve over ice.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. We like the unsweet variety and extra strong! But still equally refreshing for those of us that cannot or don't like sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ut oh... Now I have a recipe, Leonard will be wanting me to make it for him. He LOVES sweet tea. He got hooked on it when he lived in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can certainly play w/the sugar amounts as well. I found 1.5 cups a little too sweet and 1.25 just about right.

    Holly - if you can't find Luzianne up your way, and I'm pretty sure you can't - let me know and I will send you a box. It really is the best for iced tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum I think I'll have to go home to make some this afternoon! I've missed sweet tea while I've been away:-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, being raised in the South I always had sweet tea available, now I normally make it with about 1 cup of sugar and with green tea, since my husband is sensitive to black tea. The green tea is lovely and light for hot summer days. I also make herbal sweat tea, it's super good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet tea is the house wine of the south!

    ReplyDelete