Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut....

Coconut, that is or, rather, coconut oil.  A few weeks ago a Beardie friend posted on FB regarding the health benefits of coconut oil for the dogs (Dogster Post).  So I did a little on line reading to determine if it was something I wanted to try.  For the last year or more Sam has had terribly dry skin and no amount of supplements seemed to be helping - not even salmon oil.

After determining that coconut oil wouldn't harm the dogs in any way, I went ahead and bought a small jar of Virgin Coconut Oil from Whole Foods.  My first surprise was that when I opened the jar the oil had solidified.  Coconut oil solidifies at 76 degrees or lower so, when I took it out of the highly air-conditioned store, it was in a solid state.  It has fluctuated between liquid and solid since I brought it home but it doesn't need to be refrigerated.

This weekend I groomed all the dogs and, for the first time in over a year, Sam's skin wasn't dry and flaky.  He's been getting 1-2 tsps of coconut oil, daily, for the last 3 weeks.  His coat feels great too, very soft and silky (I know, that's not really correct for a Cardi).  Overall, I'm thrilled with what I've seen.  Coconut oil doesn't have the anti-inflammatory properties that salmon oil does but it seems to have a lot of other benefits so I think I will continue giving it.

Do some research for yourself and see if it is something you want to add to your dog(s) diet.

2 comments:

  1. I have read lots of good stuff on coconut oil. Whole Dog Journal did an article on the benefits a few years back. Not only does it help the coat, but it is also a good detoxer (I don't think that is a real word) and helpful with lots of issues. Almost a miracle cure based on the article.....And dogs are supposed to love the taste. I haven't used it so I can't cite my own experiences, but it definitely has good reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I have been thinking of adding it to Bug's diet as I try to get him back up to his normal weight, pre-Hush. My understanding is it pretty calorie dense compared to other oils.

    ReplyDelete